Blizzard tech support has recently suggested players utilize a VPN if they’re ever experiencing issues while connecting to Battle.net or Diablo 4 servers. This comes after Blizzard spent considerable time fighting a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack that recently rendered Diablo 4 unplayable for hours. If you’re interested in using a VPN with Diablo 4, then we’re here to guide you through the relevant steps as well. Then, in the future, you could be well-prepared enough to tackle any server issues or potential DDoS attacks that may arise during your gaming sessions, ensuring uninterrupted gameplay as much as possible.
Diablo 4 stands out from other action role-playing games (ARPGs) with its unique approach to server selection. Unlike some other ARPGs, Diablo 4 doesn’t restrict players to specific regions and instead assigns them to the most suitable server based on their IP address. However, if you encounter connectivity problems or wish to enhance your gaming experience, Blizzard support has recommended using a VPN to modify your server location. Here’s how to get started:
1. Install a secure and reliable VPN on your chosen device. We recommend using ExpressVPN.
2. Choose a nearby country that falls within the same region as your current location. This proximity ensures a smoother connection and reduces latency. Connect to its server.
3. Select a server in that country with a lower player count. By doing so, you’ll benefit from a less crowded environment, enhancing your gameplay and reducing potential lag. Blizzard tech support describes it as ‘avoiding an accident on a highway’ if there are ever any server issues as well.
Is Diablo 4 Down? Current Server Status
After the recent DDoS attack, Diablo 4 players continued to report issues signing into the always-online action role-playing game as well as other Battle.net games on June 25, and login problems persisted into the morning on June 26. Thankfully, the servers seemed to have stabilized since, but there are still occasional reports of connectivity issues plaguing the game.
Blizzard’s customer support Twitter account revealed the source of the problem over the weekend: a DDoS attack it was “actively working to mitigate”. This has sparked renewed calls for the addition of an offline mode, and is the latest reminder of Blizzard’s controversial decision to make Diablo 4 an always-online game.
Diablo 4 has been rendered unplayable due to login issues multiple times since its launch earlier in June. The first Diablo 4 player to hit Level 100 in Hardcore mode was left speechless after his character was lost forever following a disconnect. Then, last week, a Diablo 4 player flew into a rage after his 172-hour, level 91 Hardcore character died during a loading screen.
The Best VPN for Diablo 4 Should Have:
VPNs can be expensive as a one-time purchase, especially if you’re only using it for a single purpose. So, if you are going to invest in a VPN, make sure you’re doing it to take advantage of all the benefits that come with a virtual private network. This includes bypassing server issues on games like Diablo 4, avoiding restrictive skill-based-matchmaking (SBMM), online data encryption, shielding your identity, lightning-quick connectivity, and ensuring access to otherwise restricted sites. Here’s everything we think is an absolute must when it comes to using a VPN in 2023.
- Fast and stable streaming speeds, ideally with unlimited bandwidth, so you can watch as much as you want in high resolution with minimal-to-no buffering
- VPN servers in many countries worldwide, especially in the US and the UK
- Strong encryption and security, so you can privately enjoy the show without worrying about being tracked by your internet service provider
- We’re a big fan of ExpressVPN, but there are also other popular VPN providers like NordVPN and CyberGhost to consider as well.
How To Fix Diablo 4 Connection Problems
If you’re finding connectivity issues when trying to play Diablo 4, Blizzard also offers a few additional tips to deploy when you’re trying to solve the problems the game might be giving your PC. Besides using a VPN, here’s the top tips for fixing Diablo 4 connection issues:
- Reset your network devices to make sure your router hasn’t become flooded with data.
- If you’re using a wireless connection, optimize your internet connection to rule out a connection issue.
- Update your drivers and operating system to resolve any compatibility issues.
- Release and renew your IP and flush your DNS to resolve any network conflicts.
- Close all other applications to resolve software conflicts and free up resources.
Buyer’s Guide: Best VPN for Gaming
Premium VPNs aren’t cheap, but they could be worth the investment if you haven’t already secured yourself one this year. Just as we’ve gone over above, VPNs are perfect for maintaining your online privacy, security, and safety in 2023. Not only that, but they’re an endlessly useful tool that we love to recommend to anyone looking to up their online security, or bypass any kind of geoblocking. For example, with a VPN you can access free British streaming services like BBC iPlayer, ITVX (e.g. to watch Love Island), or get around geoblocked YouTube pages like BT Sport during the recent Champions League Final.
Our top pick for VPNs in 2023 is ExpressVPN, and they’ve currently got a great deal, with 49% off it’s 1-year deal, you’re also getting an additional 3-months free. So at the equivalent of $6.67 per month, you’re getting 15-months of coverage under one of the best VPNs available at the moment. Plus, if you don’t get on with ExpressVPN, their deal also includes a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
More VPNs To Consider:
Best VPN for Playing on PS5 or Xbox
If you want to go a step further, you could always invest in the ExpressVPN Aircove router and router app as well. VPNs can help evade throttling on any device, but this is full dedicated Wi-Fi 6 router with ExpressVPN built in as well. This is perfect for console gamers as well who don’t want to go through the meticulous steps to get their VPN working while they game on the couch.
Diablo 4 launched big, becoming Blizzard’s fastest-selling game ever. It is also a hit with critics, and, generally, has gone down well with fans. However, the cost of Diablo 4’s microtransactions has raised eyebrows, and, surprisingly, Whoopi Goldberg called on Blizzard to release Diablo 4 on Mac. Check out our interactive Diablo 4 map to start tracking your progress as you play.
Robert Anderson is a deals expert and Commerce Editor for IGN. You can follow him @robertliam21 on Twitter.